Tuesday, April 8, 2014

April 2014




 After Rembrandt's "Portrait of Johannes Wtenbogaert"

After Sargent's watercolor "White Ships"
Having just gotten many tubes of watercolors in the mail I am steadily replacing my less than student grades with artist grade ones and I'm inspired to do more. Love the Fabriano paper as well.

These are just a couple of paintings done this month. I'm leaning on a new theme, Rembrandt and Sargent. One thing that bothers me, not that I want to forge any paintings, is that the images on the web differ dramatically in color and the fact that the museums are cleaning the old varnish off the oil paintings to reveal more dramatic color underneath the discolored varnish layers. Unless you are in the museum looking at the work, you can't really be sure. I can only speculate, knowing their palette and techniques, the right ones to use. 

I was recently reminded that the way we get to be good is by painting the masters. It's true. In the hundreds of works I've done, only less than 20 were done from reference to a master painting or at least, someone well known. 

No comments:

Post a Comment