Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Fourth Rembrandt

Well, Rembrandt is the idol of the month. This is my fourth watercolor version of his selfies. So, I just had to share. The reference photo was clear and didn't have the traditional darkened varnish of the typical "Rembrandt glaze", which was a darkening of the varnish through the years applied to the paintings. I have also included the others.

I actually have applied a Rembrandt glaze to paintings in some areas of some of my oil and acrylic paintings (mixture of varnish and color) to darken and make parts of them recede, and it works very nicely for that.

Rembrandt. Watercolor 11x14" Fabriano cold press. W&N, Talens & Grumbacher colors,Grumbacher, Davinci, W&N, Princeton brushes. The reference doesn't have that traditional Rembrandt glaze, which was just old varnish, so colors were more vibrant, the way he painted. Just have to finish the jewelry 'round the neck.





No comments:

Post a Comment